Saturday, August 6, 2011

{DNF} Too Hot to Handle by Robin Kaye

TOO HOT TO HANDLE (Domestic Gods, Book 2)
Robin Kaye
Published: Sourcebooks Casablanca, May 2009

FIND IT ON: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N

Blurb:
He sure would love to have someone to take care of…
Dr. Mike Flynn's single mom taught him early how to cook and clean, and there's nothing like vacuuming or doing dishes to help a guy relax. Annabelle Ronaldi is an artist without a domestic bone in her body. Since her fiance's death, she can't paint, and life looks hopeless.
Until the day after her sister's wedding, when she wakes up with Mike next to her in bed, and then she's really beside herself - because the handsome stranger is a dead ringer for her dead fiance.
After their mind-blowing one night stand, Mike is sure this is the woman he wants to take care of forever, but she acts like she's seen a ghost. While Mike sets to work wooing Annabelle, she sets to work sniffing out the truth of the convoluted family secret that turns everybody's lives upside down.



My Thoughts: 
This is one of those books, it pains me to say, I couldn't finish.  I really thought I'd enjoy this one, too.  After-all, I do love men with a domestic gene.  What struck me the wrong way is it didn't seem like Annabelle was over her deceased ex.  I read half of this book and I never got the idea she was at a place in her life where she was ready to open up to a new relationship. 

Is it possible I put it away too quickly?  Of course.  So, why put it down?  Despite the fact that I think Mike's character was love-worthy, I never connected to Annabelle enough to feel invested in what happens.  I didn't like where the story was headed with Mike's lineage, either.  It felt too contrived; like a ploy to explain-away Annabelle's confusion.

I'm not saying I'll never pick up another Robin Kaye book.  This particular book completely missed the mark for me.

GRADE: DNF

No comments:

Post a Comment