Saturday, June 11, 2011

Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force

Coming off his 3rd Superbowl win with the Denver Mavericks, you would think Ryan Sanderson was riding high on life.  Instead, he finds himself desperate to reconnect with his estranged wife, Susannah, before their marriage ends in divorce in 10 days.  There were so many good things about Ryan.  He knows how badly he messed up in the marriage.  He doesn’t come to her expecting that she’ll take the blame and fall at his feet.  He’s cocky in a confident way that will make you smile.  Oh, and the way he says “darlin’” I can almost hear his honeyed Texas drawl.  Mmm!  Sexy, assertive, and so in love with Susannah that it was almost painful to watch him trying to right his wrongs.  I would’ve fallen at his feet – happily!

Susannah has moved on with her life and is preparing to marry another man in less than a month.  When I first picked up this novel, I was skeptical that there would be anything about the heroine that I liked.  Call me old-fashioned, but cheating is cheating.  Moving past those first assumptions, the more I read about Susannah, the more I liked and the more I understood.   One, she still loves Ryan.  That was pretty obvious from the get-go.  Two, Susannah was a young bride and allowed her identity to become so enmeshed in Ryan’s that she lost who she was.  Three, she’s not in love with her fiancé, Henry Merrill.  He is possessive and weak.   He’s spent years pining for Susannah; standing on the sidelines waiting for Ryan to mess up.  There are no redeemable qualities about the guy.
 
Luckily, Ryan swoops in demanding that she spend the last days of their marriage with him!  He’s determined to show her he’s changed and wants to make her and their relationship top priority in his life.  Their history is filled with love and tears.  I’m talking problems that were real, honest, and heart-wrenching.  I felt completely invested in their relationship!  They have a lot to overcome during the final chapters.  It’s a true test that will tug at both of their insecurities.
 
This was the first book I’ve read by Marie Force.  Can’t wait to read more!

GRADE: A+
 

No comments:

Post a Comment